News:

Why yes, yes it is still online!
-Balaso

Laptop woes

Started by Dread, January 05, 2007, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dread

Sup guys, so i have ben w/o a computer fr awhile b/c my laptop decided to take a shit on me and need help troubleshooting. At first i thought it was a virus so i did many scans and turn up with nothing. So i figured it was time for a fresh reinstall of windows anyway so i did that. No dice. My issue is that every 5 min or so (if not sooner) my computer crashes. I thought it might be a heating issue, so i opened it up cleaned it out and made sure all the fans were working properly. No issue there. So i have a guess that it has something to do with my harddrives. I have 2 harddrives in a Raid 0 config and i think either 1 or both have gone bad. I havent done any testing on this theory yet b/c i am at home currently for holidays so i though i would just ask here first just incase any of you technologically inclined people could think of something i didnt. anyway. gimme a shout.
Dread.

SK_CROW

January 06, 2007, 04:17:52 PM #1 Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:18:20 PM by SK_CROW
Did you scan you HDs for any bad sectors?  Did it take forever to scan? If its on RAID 0 like you said,  then they arent dependant on each other so look more at your main HD which has the OS installed on it.

If you have more than one stick of ram in there, take one out and see if it stills crashes.  Swap each stick to see any differences.

Didnt you have a alienware pc?  Is the warranty still good?

sK_Cookie

run a program that bootable like spin right to test the harddrives.  Also make sure to run mem_test86 those are some fo the best software I have seen out there that scans and repairs HDD's and tests your memory.

Dread

ok so i did the windows hardrive check, stage 1 verify files completed with no error in no time. However, stage 2 CHKDSK verifying indexes, gets to 29 % and locks up. Fairly confident this makes it a HD issue, just need your confirmation. I amsumming my next step is to take the HD 1 at a time and reformat onto only 1 HD not both in the raid array. I am being deployed to japan again at the end of the month for a month and would like to have my laptop. any help is much apreciated. Havent done memory check yet. and yah i have the alienware whitch until now has worked perfectly w/oa hitch sometimes being used for 24+ hrs straight of hard use. Unfortunatly my warranty expired over a year ago. Cant believe i have had it for 2 yrs already. It still has good hardware in it and i dont wanna have to scrap it. Help me!

sK_Cookie

okay what you need to do is get spin right and see if it can repair the HDD.  If not it will need to be replaced.  then you can redeploy the raid array and all will be well.  Or to save time you can scrap the HDD and replace it.

Dread

yea so spinrite is $89 and unless you have a copy i could dl off an FTP it isnt worth buying. I could buy a new HD for that, they arent very expensive. Seems the program is more useful for important information recovery. Only way it make the 89 bucks worth it. so get back with me else i will just get new HD's

sK_Cookie

talk to muffdiver he might be able to help you.