News:

Why yes, yes it is still online!
-Balaso

Award Hunting - UPDATED

Started by FourScience, September 28, 2005, 11:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FourScience

September 28, 2005, 11:29:43 PM Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 07:27:58 PM by FourScience
This post was originally a request for help in a few awards, but now that I have almost everything I'm after (all but 2 ribbons, all badges with over half as veteran), I think I should share what worked for me.

Most awards have kill quotas. Some of those might be really difficult to do, especially if you're not really great with the particular vehicle, weapon, or kit. For these, there are sometimes workarounds however. For instance, for my Combat Engineer #2 (veteran) badge I needed 20 kills. I might have gotten them using the USA or PLA pump shotgun, but it was VERY easy just to get in the tank as MEC in Strike at Karkand, roll around, and kill lots of people. This is a key workaround: if you aren't good with something, try using the kit with a tank/jet/chopper to reap the kill-count.

Some awards require the use of particular vehicles or AT/AA gun turrets. I had a hard time getting my Helicopter Ribbon, but I did it the hard way last night. I had a tougher time getting my Air Defense Ribbon, even after they made the AA missiles a little better in 1.03. I got it by accident in Dalian Plant when I applied for commander, kept getting bombed on the carrier by an enemy jet, and so I camped the AA turret for the rest of the round. After a couple arty strikes in addition to only half a dozen AA kills, I had my ribbon! Apparently, when you occupy a turret, and possibly even a vehicle, your kills as commander will count towards your awards. This also holds true for repairs, resupplies, and medic actions as a commander, as I got my Engineer #2 last night in Wake Island 2007 by running around repairing all the Chinese assets as commander. Incidentally, I managed to win as commander in both maps despite my award obsession.

With patch 1.03, keep in mind that the time requirements for awards is significantly lowered. Veteran badges can be accomplished after only 15 hrs with a kit...I already have this with 5 of the 7 kits. Don't go by the BF2Tracker.com info, check out the famous UBAR page.

I can offer even more detailed advice for specific awards, so feel free to Xfire me (bluescience).