News:

Why yes, yes it is still online!
-Balaso

New laptop?

Started by Balaso, August 23, 2005, 05:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaso

August 23, 2005, 05:32:13 PM Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 05:32:52 PM by Balaso
I am possibly going to be getting a new laptop as a gift soon. Here are the proposed specs. Let me know what you think.

Proposed new laptop:

Alienware Area-51m 7700 Extreme
Processor: Desktop P4 540j w/ HT Technology 3.2 Ghz 800 FSB 1MB cach
Memory: 2GB Duel Channel DDR2 @ 533MHz
Hard Drive: 80GB 5400 rpm SATA
Mobo: Intel 915P PCI-express chipset
Video Card: Area-51m NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra w/ 256MB DDR3
Screen: 17" WideXGA+ 1400 x 900 LCD Clearview
Optical Drive: 24x10x24 CD-RW/8X DVD combo w/software MPEG2 Decoder
Wireless: Internal wireless card
MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

Jackson

From who? Sign me up I want one too!

sK_Cookie

Impolite

Do you plan to use this on battery much?  If so, I would really, REALLY suggest going with a Pentium M instead of the P4 - that 3.2 will drain your battery in under an hour playing games, not to mention the 6800 U.  Now, if you are going to be just taking the notebook back and forth from work, go for it!  That should be a sweet little machine.

Balaso

The times I'm running off of battery I probably won't be playing games. When gaming I will most likely be near a power source of some such.

E.J.FUDD

and jsut who do we have to be adopted by???
yea though i walk through the valley of death i shall fear no evil for i tread upon the bones of its forefathers

Jackson

Well... at least he'll be out of the house when he plays SWG. :lol:  

MuffDiver

seems like a rather costly laptop.
 why do you want to go with a laptop?  Mobility? To just be trendy?  will you actualy be playing games on it? cuz for the money you going to spend on that laptop you could have a dual OPTERON machine ....  Think about it

I think that is a bad ass laptop, but your pay'n for a lot of flash.  If you need a pc to do work on at work or anywhere, you dont need a flashy thing like that.  but if you need a protable gaming machine... well, I guess you pay for convience.
A+,Net+,MCP
Alpha Geek
Premier P.O.S.

"six munths ago I cudn't even spel manejir, now I is one!"

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass ov

Balaso

Quoteseems like a rather costly laptop.
 why do you want to go with a laptop?  Mobility? To just be trendy?  will you actualy be playing games on it? cuz for the money you going to spend on that laptop you could have a dual OPTERON machine ....  Think about it

I think that is a bad ass laptop, but your pay'n for a lot of flash.  If you need a pc to do work on at work or anywhere, you dont need a flashy thing like that.  but if you need a protable gaming machine... well, I guess you pay for convience.
Here is the deal, as a gift, I am going to recieve a laptop. I get to pick it myself and have a $3000.00 budget. That's why I'm going that route. the money is specifically for a laptop. I looked at dell, but I get a much more powerful machine through alienware.

SK_CROW

Dell's XPS Gen2 uses a Pent.M so it it is lighter and will have a longer batter life.  The performance would be the same if not better based on Tom's hardware comparison testing.  I have one and it has a battery life of 3 hours with normal use versus only 1 hour for the alienware due to the cpu.

Tom's Hardware

Look for 40% discount here

sK_Cookie

if you the better performance of AMD 64 then go with the turion 64 is smacks the p4m around like a red headed step child.  lol.  Oh and with the 12 cell battery you get 5.5 to 6 hours.  but since you are not concerned with batter life go for it.

Balaso

August 24, 2005, 04:41:41 PM #11 Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 04:45:19 PM by Balaso
I just want an incredibly fast high-end laptop with good bult in wireless. My budget is 3k. I will look into anyones configuration recommendtions.

I want the best laptop for my money.

sK_Cookie

okay I get you a configuration together tonight after I get off from work.  

SK_CROW

August 24, 2005, 10:01:36 PM #13 Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:13:40 PM by SK_CROW
Check this one out!  ;)

It only has 35% off...but if you want to wait, the 40% off usually comes back.

sK_Cookie

August 25, 2005, 03:31:36 AM #14 Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 05:46:31 AM by Balaso
I dont know the last dell laptop I worked on (new out of the box mind you)  It was like someone took a crap in my hands and slapped a dell sticker on it.