Why yes, yes it is still online!
-Balaso

My new map

Started by Bri Rock, April 24, 2005, 11:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bri Rock

April 24, 2005, 11:08:26 AM Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 11:24:31 AM by Bri Rock
Hey guys,

I just completed the map I was working on, and I was wondering since you guys really like custom maps, you could test out my map.

The name of it is 'fy_junkyard', but I'm probably going to put a 'beta1' on the end of the name for now. It's a small, simple, (hopefully) visually appealing map.

Who could I send it to so perhaps it could be put on the server?

Until then, I guess I can set up an <extreme> bootleg link from my geocities account, (one that can only process 5MB worth of bandwidth per hour).
The map .zip file is about 2.8MB, so every hour, only 1 download can happen :(
Download off my site

Again sorry if geocities says "This site has exceeded the bandwidth".
Hope you guys like it :). Tell me about bugs, or things that could be better about it (visually, gameplay wise, etc.) Thanks!

Balaso

please email it to admin<AT>webhostplanet.net
change <AT> to @
MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

Impolite

Nightbane

Can we have a preview?

"His mission is imperial thats why i CANT shoot 'em ya f*** head" - BLitz

Balaso

map added to the server. We will play test it tonight

Flu

aim_map_usp

is a fuckin' sweet map.
QuoteOriginally posted by: SK_CROW
go flames go!

Nightbane

"His mission is imperial thats why i CANT shoot 'em ya f*** head" - BLitz

Balaso

Quoteaim_map_usp

is a fuckin' sweet map.
please put new map request in a new post or pm me.  

Blitzkrieg

QuoteHey guys,

I just completed the map I was working on, and I was wondering since you guys really like custom maps, you could test out my map.

The name of it is 'fy_junkyard', but I'm probably going to put a 'beta1' on the end of the name for now. It's a small, simple, (hopefully) visually appealing map.

Who could I send it to so perhaps it could be put on the server?

Until then, I guess I can set up an <extreme> bootleg link from my geocities account, (one that can only process 5MB worth of bandwidth per hour).
The map .zip file is about 2.8MB, so every hour, only 1 download can happen :(
Download off my site

Again sorry if geocities says "This site has exceeded the bandwidth".
Hope you guys like it :). Tell me about bugs, or things that could be better about it (visually, gameplay wise, etc.) Thanks!
This is not bad at all man.  Your first?

I might actually enlist your assistance before too long in figuring some stuff out.  I started my first map attempt last night with the help of the VERC forums and a tutorial video I managed to find out on the internet.  When I get a chance, I'll put this video up on an ftp so anyone else who would like to can get a basic idea of how to use Hammer.  This video was reasonably well put together and quite informative on the "basics" for a beginner.

I actually had a couple pubbers join my "server" when I was testing the initial setup of my map....hehe....  Needless to say, they didn't stay long cuz the map, at that point, was a big, empty room....

Anywho, nicely done Bri.  Need to work out some of the invisible walls though....just my 2 cents....

Later.
Blitz

Bri Rock

May 10, 2005, 08:58:10 PM #9 Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:03:55 PM by Bri Rock

Yes, this is my first map for source. It was a huge learning experience, but since this is an fy map, I'd be more than happy to post the source file for people to tear apart and see how I did it (The arch near T-spawn was a head-ache before I began using the clip tool :lol:) . I'm right now neck deep in school work, but I already have a layout of a "Nuclear power plant" defuse map.
--> I'm going to try and have the entire facility blow up when the bomb goes off at one of the two bombsites (setting the bomb blast radius to max) >:^D. This I'm hoping will bring on an entirely new level of suspense/thrill/anxiety/tension for defusing the bomb.

There are some bugs that I found out about in the junkyard map.
1) I set the clip brushes too low along the outsides of the map when lowgrav is low.
2) The actual sky brushes are not on the edges of the map, but rather a couple of feet back.

This means: Technically, when lowgrav is on, you can jump... off the map and onto the bottom skybrush (Going through the 3D skybox). And, since I used alot of texture displacing (terrain), the terrain when viewed from under the map is see-through. --> YOU CAN SNIPE ANYONE if you are under the map &lt;_&lt; Kind of a legal wallhack if you will. But again, this only happens if grav is low. So since the playing at that point is silly and meant to be fun, it could actually be hilarious to try out :)

For tutorials, I like this place: www.interlopers.net . This was my primary source if I wanted to figure out how to do anything with the map. Factoid: The ropes in the junkyard before I sent it to Balaso I threw up at the last second ^_^.

Also, what invisible walls are there? I don't understand where Blitzkrieg is pointing to.

Balaso

we can try it anytime. I think that map has alot of potential. Keep working it, and I think your on to something.

Blitzkrieg

QuoteAlso, what invisible walls are there? I don't understand where Blitzkrieg is pointing to.
Its probably just the intent of the map to prevent players from leaving the trenches to run up on top of the hills of land between the trenches.  The debris buried in the side of those hills allows players to jump to a point that "should" allow them to walk right up on top of those hills, but there is an "invisible wall" around the hills that prevents it.  When the server is set to low grav, it is possible to jump up over the "walls" and onto those hills (if I recall correctly), but the player then has to jump again to get over the "walls" and back down into the trenches.  If I had the Hammer file for this map (if that's what ur using), I could probably see/describe in more detail what is causing this effect.

And yeah, I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make curved surfaces before I ran into a screenshot of how someone did an arched doorway on one of the help forums....  There's so much too this mapping stuff that I'm quite sure I'll be a noob indefinately....hehe....

Thanks for the info site, btw....it will likely come in handy.

Blitz