-Balaso

holy mother of all that is .....

Started by E.J.FUDD, June 01, 2006, 11:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.J.FUDD

AMD Sets Launch Date For Quad-Core; Talks Up New Mobile, Desktop Innovations

By Kristen Kenedy, CRN
Thu. June 01, 2006

AMD will roll out its quad-core processors in mid-2007 and plans to release a lower-power dual-core mobile CPU and a souped-up desktop offering, company executives said Thursday.

AMD CTO Phil Hester said the quad-core processor will have four true cores, "it is not a dual-core glued together." His comments came at an analysts briefing Thursday.

The chip will have dedicated L1 and L2 cache for each core plus a shared 2Mbyte L3 cache design that Hester said can be expanded in the future.

AMD also will work to increase the number of instructions that can be processed at one time, including floating point instructions, important for graphics and high-performance computing.

I/O and memory controller speed will be scaled up to handle the increased load from four cores, he added.

Hester said AMD, Sunnyvale, Calif., also will continue to focus on power management capabilities in its design. Each core can be controlled for power individually and can be powered down when loads are light.

With the new quad-core designs, Hester said AMD will have x86 offerings that can handle as many as 36-individual cores in a systems, pitting the systems up against the higher-end RISC and Itanium competitors.

yea though i walk through the valley of death i shall fear no evil for i tread upon the bones of its forefathers

sK_Cookie

holy shit is about all that can be said about that.

Balaso

MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

sK_Cookie

no kidding im waiting to build now

MuffDiver

I love my dual core 3800 so quad would be sweet, just remember that you can only run desktop software on 1-2 cpu's without paying for more licenses from M$, so go linux.
A+,Net+,MCP
Alpha Geek
Premier P.O.S.

"six munths ago I cudn't even spel manejir, now I is one!"

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass ov

Balaso

Holy mother of all that is good, it's Muff! How have you been man? Glad you stopped by. Keep us posted what your doing these days and what games your playing.
MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped