News:

Why yes, yes it is still online!
-Balaso

Computer Rebuild

Started by Nightbane, January 15, 2008, 10:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightbane

Im going to start re building my PC. im looking for a new mobo, processor, power supply, and RAM. I want to switch from intel to AMD with this one. a MOBO with both PCIe and AGP slots. so i can upgrade to PCIe if i decide to but can keep my current video card because i havent had it for 6 months. i currently have an ASUS p4s800 mobo with an intel 2.8GHz processor. and 1, pc3400 400MHZ 1gb ram. i have two sticks, but just one in my PC because the other slots are bad. and i will want to upgrade to a SATA HDD. i dont know what on the market is good, so any help is appreciated.

"His mission is imperial thats why i CANT shoot 'em ya f*** head" - BLitz

sK_Cookie

I post the specs on my box tonight when I get home.

crypticknight

February 07, 2008, 09:41:50 PM #2 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:42:51 PM by crypticknight
looks like he forgot to post his specs so i'll post mine =)

Asus M2N32-SLI motherboard
AMD X2 6000+ Dual core 3.01ghz
4gb pc 6400 memory
320gb Hdd  sata
160gb Hdd  sata
500gb Hdd  esata
Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb video card
Samsung 226bw 22in LCD
Samsung 906bw 19in LCD
700watt pc power.. powersupply.
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

SK_CROW

When is AMD going to actually compete with Intel and start making cpus that are more efficient, better performing and has greater over-clockability?

....I am hoping our AMD fan boys shout out. :P  

Jackson

I too am in the market for a rebuild...

My aging system,

AMD 64 3400+
2GB PC-3200DDR
120 GB HD
Ati 800XL 256mb
XP Pro -32bit

I still only play BF2 and COD4 on my 37' LCD TV. Not too interested in the newer games currently out but any suggestions would be welcomed.

On the PS3 I play mostly Rock Band and Virtual Tennis 3 (stop your snickering I can hear you...) and have been disappointed in the games coming out for it.

If anyone wants to part with an old used 939 AMD 64X2 4000+ chip or higher let me know. I was thinking of a band aid fix of a new processor and a 8800GT to last me another year or so.

Oh did I hear about a new Rainbow 6 game coming out? The last one I bought disappointed me highly (I think it was called lock down...)

Also, any opinions on a pebuilt system like ibuypower, Cyberpower etc? I am seriously considering just buying something.

SK_CROW

February 15, 2008, 01:46:27 PM #5 Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:46:49 PM by SK_CROW
Cyberpower is pretty good for "best bang for the buck".  Their 3 yr liberal warranty is convenient when replacing failed parts.  They have pretty good hardware too.  Just make sure you specify if you want any of the optional fans included.  Otherwise, they will not include them.

Jackson

Actually that is who I was looking at. They seem to have a lot of different builds and seem to be really reasonable. Problem is I want to over spend with every config. Sadly that new Cooler Master Cosmos case just makes me randy... so that is a must.

Nightbane you might want to check these guys out too. Computers start for around $500-600 which I think is really reasonable since some of these are SLI and Crossfire setups. (Lower end of course but hey, it is what it is)

I'm getting too old and lazy to piece systems together.

SK_CROW

The Cosmos case is good if you are looking for a quiet case with minimal overclocking.  The reviews on its cooling is moderate to poor.  The HDD cooling along with overall air flow are what seems to be a concern.  Also majority of it is steel and not aluminum.

The Coolmaster Stackers have excellent cooling and ventilation.  It is also all aluminum.  Make sure you read the reviews on both!

SK_CROW

Heres an update on the new Cosmos S Case.  It looks like CM has listened to some of the issues ppl have said about the 1000.  The new S model is now all aluminum.  It also has much improved air cooling.  I especially like the top ventilation which alllows 3 120mm fans or radiator w/3 fans for a liquid cooling system.  Looks like Cyberpower is carrying it too!

Here is a pretty good review.

MuffDiver

QuoteWhen is AMD going to actually compete with Intel and start making cpus that are more efficient, better performing and has greater over-clockability?

....I am hoping our AMD fan boys shout out. :P
does it really matter if you can overclock now-a-days???  

I mean you can easily build a pc with 8 cores, you're never going to be able to use all 8 at any one time with any efficiency, so why would you OC an dual or quad core?  AMD has low power units that have excellent performance.  Infact, if you're running a 64bit os and 32bit software you get a natural 8% boost in performance over running 32bit OS on 64bit hardware because of the improved logic of AMD.

What level of performance do you really need that you cannot already get?  Besides, AMD's model numbers are much much easier to follow than Itel's.
A+,Net+,MCP
Alpha Geek
Premier P.O.S.

"six munths ago I cudn't even spel manejir, now I is one!"

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass ov

SK_CROW

Well I always base hardware to actually game performance.  Back when this topic actually was posted,  an overclocked Intel always out performed any overclocked AMD processor straight across the board.  That was with dual and quad cores back then.  Now the i7s are more power efficient than any AMD so that advantage no longer exists.

Balaso

Another words Crow is trying to tactfully say that this thread was from early 2008! LOL.... I miss the old active forum days. God Cookie and I were post whores, especially cookie!
MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

sK_Cookie

post whore  *** cookies looks around ****  who me, never.

E.J.FUDD

im nakked...does that count?
yea though i walk through the valley of death i shall fear no evil for i tread upon the bones of its forefathers

Balaso

Quoteim nakked...does that count?
no, thats not being a post whore, thats just being the good old fashion kind of whore.
MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped